Saturday, January 3, 2015

It's Never Too Late

So, around this time last year I made the decision to start going to the gym.  I had always refused to go no matter how many times my husband assured me it would be okay.  I envisioned the gym full of brick houses that gracefully run on the treadmill while I ran and panted like a hippo on dry land.  However, on a whim, we went to check it out.

And that is exactly what I saw.  Everyone was lifting weights, fit and look like they were going to bust somebody up as they walked around all macho-like.  But, I signed up.  They were having a Biggest Loser competition and we joined.  That was the momentum I needed. 

As I look back on the year, I can't believe what I have accomplished.  I have lost 90 pounds, developed muscles that were dormant most of my life and realized I am stronger than I give myself credit for.  Granted, it hasn't been easy.  There were days I let the scale define me a little too much; days I let the scale set the mood for the day.  However, once I got off the pity train, I focused and got right back at it.  Kind of where I am now. 

The holidays came and went and they left about 5 pounds with me.  They are so generous.  Not only that, but the eating of foods that I have avoided has triggered in my head the addiction I have.  It is like an addict that doesn't do anything for awhile but all it takes is one time to get the body back into the routine.  It is like the body says - "Oh, yea....I remember this feeling".   So, it is like I am starting over - only this time I know I can do it.  

I have ran three 5K races.  That, in itself, is amazing to me.  I hate running.  I really do.  But I love the competition of running.  I love the adrenaline I get when I cross the finish line.   I started running on a serious, more regiment level, November 11th.  I started out at 40 min 10 sec (for 3.1 miles; 5K).  On the treadmill, training, I now run it around 33 minutes.  When I run outside it is under 31 minutes.  I am shooting for under 30 minutes outside.  One day.

This year is no different than last.  I have fears, goals and apprehension.  I have another child graduating high school.  Then I won't have any kids in high school at all.  Crazy thought.  I turn 40 this year.  *gulp*.  There are some changes coming that I am both excited for and freaked out about all at the same time.  And goals - I want to lose 20 pounds this year and run as many 5Ks as I possibly can.   Crazy that I think about running, running gear, running shoes.....I would say I have an obsessive personality.  When I go for something, I don't just go for it a little bit.

So, that being said - bring on the new year.  This one is going to be better than the last.  I may be turning 40 but I am in the best shape of my entire life.  It is never too late.


No comments:

Post a Comment