Sunday, September 23, 2012

Birthday Girl!

Today is my mom's birthday.   She is one, if not THE, strongest woman I know.  She is a strong-willed, take-no-crap-from-anyone, rough-n-tough, southern woman.

She has had a pretty rough life, more so than most.  An accident at the age of 16 left her in a wheelchair for a year.  She had to learn simple tasks such as walking and using her legs all over again.  The accident left one leg shorter than the other, making her walk with a limp and, over time, deforming her foot.  That did not stop her by any means.

Growing up, my mom was the bread winner since my dad was unable to work.  She raised five kids on a mediocre CNA's salary.  She worked many long, hard hours.  It wasn't uncommon for her to work 16 hour shifts to make ends meet.  We may not had the best of much, but I never remember going hungry, thirsty, naked or deprived.  I never heard her complain.  She merely did what needed to be done and that was that.

She was a great cook (and still is).  The best thing was when we saw Mom get out this little square electric skillet.  We knew one of two things - she was either making fried chicken or Poor Man Donuts.  She would take canned biscuits and roll them out, put a hole in the middle then deep fry them in grease and sprinkle them with cinnamon and sugar.  They were so good.  I now find it funny that Pillsbury has that recipe on their biscuit packages!

Growing up, I had very few friends.  My mom was it.  If I went to the movies - I went with her.  If I went shopping - I went with her.  She worked 3-11's; so on the days she had to work, she was gone by the time I got home from school and wasn't home until after I went to bed.  I remember on the days she had off, I would leave her a note before I left for school asking her to wait until I got home before she went anywhere because I wanted to go with her.  We did everything together.  She was my bestie.

When my dad died, I saw the strong, independent woman crumble.  I was the only one at home, so I saw her heart break; her devastation.  When the ambulance came and took him away, she looked at me and said - "Well Mis, I just lost my best friend."  I saw her pull forth a strength that I didn't think she possessed to merely get through 'life'.  She showed strength and weakness in that dark time - both qualities I admired and learned from.

So in light of her birthday, I just wanted to jot down the first things that come to mind when I think of my Mom, so here goes.

She was a smoker for years and one day quit - cold turkey and hasn't picked up another.
She was a hard worker.
She made the best cornbread and chicken and dumplings - ever.
She started work at age 12 and has done everything from a phone operator to a car hop.
In addition to working full time - in the summer she canned, plucked 50 chickens and butchered them for the freezer, hung laundry on the line, kept a clean house and tended a garden.
She is scared to death of mice and snakes.
She has the reflex of a tiger and if she doesn't get you the first time, she will throw the nearest item at you.
When she laughs hard, she cries.
She loved my dad.
She has a southern accent that I pick up when I am around her.
She loves to do word puzzles.
She can crotchet and make ANYTHING in record time.
We may not have had a stitch of food in our house growing up, but you can guarantee we had 12 different kinds of potato chips and diet soda.
She loves animal print - especially cheetah.
My daughter is so much like her, it is rather frightening.
She loves her family.
She enjoys a good margarita every now and then.
She loves popcorn and diet Pepsi.
She drinks coffee like water.
She loves Elvis Presley and Betty Boop.
She hates milk.
She is allergic to everything.  
She doesn't watch too many movies.
Growing up she never missed Wheel of Fortune and Dallas, if she could help it.
When she gets angry, she juts out her bottom lip.
She has 10 grandchildren and 1 great-grandchild.
She (and her husband) own Bangel cats, a Lhapso Apso and a monkey.
She just got over her fear of water last year......but still can't swim.
She is not ashamed of who she is.


So with that being said - Happy birthday, Mom.  I love you!

My momma at age 16, I think.

Me and my momma earlier this year.



No comments:

Post a Comment