Thursday, August 2, 2012

Self gratification equals momentary happiness.....

As I hear about the Chick-Fil-A incident, I can't help but get fired up a bit.  I have heard both sides and have listened with a non-judgmental ear.  However, I get frustrated when I see self-proclaimed Christians say that people going to the establishment today is bashing the homosexual community.  Do they even read the news?

First off, Chick-Fil-A was asked outright what their views were on homosexuality.  Why would anyone bother asking a Christian business this question without realizing what their answer would be?  They stated how they believe a marriage is between a man and a woman and how they stand behind biblical values.  They followed up with how they will pray for the nation.  Sounds pretty legit to me.  However, word gets out and the homosexual community has exploded.  Therefore, Christians have banded together to support this business.  I, for one, would have went there today if I could have.  I heard the lines were insanely long, I saw pictures posted on Facebook and heard amazing stories on how fellow believers banded together to support a fellow brother being persecuted for his beliefs.  Not once did he say they wouldn't serve the homosexual community and not once did he state anything derogatory.  He stated his belief when asked.

It amazes me how one side is saying they can do what they want and say what they want because of the First Amendment and yet they are condemning a man for the exact same thing.  Seems like a bit of a double standard to me.  *shrug*

I love everyone the best I can.  I have a "love the sinner; hate the sin" mentality.  I will love you as an individual because you are still a child of the most high God.  However, I will not condone behavior that God deems unacceptable.  There is a big difference between acceptance and tolerance.  I will ACCEPT you for who you are, no matter your difference, no matter your struggles, no matter your sin......however, I will not tolerate your behavior.  I will not compromise my beliefs to make you comfortable.

In 2 Timothy 3 it states - "But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God— having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with such people."

I hear quite often - "as long as they are happy" or "as long as they aren't hurting anyone"....this is a 'lovers of themselves' mentality.  We are meant to be happy; God wants us to be happy and prosperous but we also find joy and happiness in Him and His Word.  If we live in a mentality of "as long as I am happy" that means anything is acceptable as long as I am happy and not hurting anyone.   That is a dangerous water to tread.  In my past I lived a life of self pleasing - did what I wanted, was happy, didn't care what anyone thought because I wasn't hurting anyone.  I ended up down a path that I never want to trudge again.  Self gratification is momentary happiness.

Is homosexuality wrong?  I believe so.  Am I going to treat someone differently because of it - no.  However, I will not compromise my beliefs just so you are more comfortable.  I won't compromise my values so that you are happy.  I will love you and be your friend but if asked, I will give my thoughts.  Jesus loved everyone when he walked this earth.  He didn't segregate but he also laid it out in black and white as to what is acceptable and what is not. 

So, I support Chick-Fil-A....I am not 'gay bashing' in my decision to support them.  I am merely saying they answered the question honestly and with integrity.  It isn't fair that their company is being persecuted for their faith.  

Then again - it didn't seem fair for a man to be persecuted for HIS faith over 2,000 years ago.  

No comments:

Post a Comment