Monday, July 30, 2012

Screaming kids give me a headache - and a full heart.



Last week was our church's Vacation Bible School (VBS).  This is always a fun, yet stressful, week in the middle of my summer.  This year's was no exception.

I begin planning for VBS a year in advance by getting the theme and figuring out what kit I am going to invest in.  Then in December, the planning stages begin to take shape.  It takes about 8 months of thorough planning to execute VBS week.  It is tedious and taxing but well worth the effort.

This year's theme was Pandamania.  It was such a fun theme and it deemed worthy to be number one as my favorite stage design.  It is amazing what you can do with some cardboard and a little imagination.

Many times I wonder why I do VBS.  I am not the children's church director, in fact, I am the youth leader.  Why have I decided to take on the task with this year being the 6th year I have planned and directed the event? 

The answer is simple.  Seeing a child look up at you with anticipation as you explain how much God loves them is the best reward of them all.  While I do not feel 'called' to children's ministry, a small part of me would love to jump into it and do it like VBS every Sunday.  You have to relate to people (including children) on their level.  Larger than life props, crazy lighting, fun songs, costumes and silly dancing helps keep the kids engaged and when they are engaged, they get it.

Every Thursday, we offer a salvation message.  This year we did a visual "skit" to help the kids connect that Jesus loves them and wants to be their 'forever friend'.  Then we have them sit in their crews and raise their hands if they want Jesus to be their forever friend.  I deliver it in a way they understand and they desire.  That night we had an attendance of 30 --- 28 raised their hands to accept Jesus.  Many will say that a child will just do something if asked.  Not true.....they understand and they know.  Statistics say that people generally accept Jesus before the age of 12.  That is why I do what I do.  The enemy was not pleased with me either.  VBS week was running rather smoothly until Thursday.  Everything that could go wrong did.  People weren't well, DVD's that we have to have for the opening were locking up and not working, I didn't seem to connect on stage with the songs or the kids, one child had a melt down due to losing her kitten that day.....and more....the enemy tried to thwart the evening.  I was frazzled but had others pray, took a deep breath and said - I will press on despite what comes my way.  The evening had a few hiccups but went well.  Take that, devil!

We are to give the Gospel freely in a way that relates to the audience.  Jesus spoke in parables and made them relatable.  If he talked about vineyards, it was because it was relatable to the people he was speaking with.  He wouldn't talk about oxen to someone who harvests grapes or he wouldn't speak of the vine if he was talking to a merchant.  He knew his audience and he targeted them with things they could associate with.  That is how we should present the Gospel.  We should consider who we are speaking with.  It is our obligation, as Christians, to share the Gospel of Jesus.....not matter the age.

This year we had an average of 40 kids a night.  Those little children, ranging in ages 5 - 11 years old (with some exceptions) - brought in enough offering to place an order for next year's curriculum.  Several of those children returned to church the following Sunday because they wanted more.  God places a hunger in us.  Sure, children's church is fun and exciting......but there is a fire that burns in those little kids.  They get it. 

We shouldn't overlook them.  They are the future church.  The bible says if we train a child up in the way he should go, he will not depart from it.  God is a big deal.  Share his love in a way they understand.  It is the best gift you can give someone - the knowledge and understanding of Jesus.

Can't wait to do it again next year.






No comments:

Post a Comment